Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Male Blue Dasher Dragonfly

Male Blue Dasher Dragonfly


With water gardens, comes a host of beautiful creatures brought ever closer to our attention with our macro shots where we can see detail better than in person actually. Roger passed this capture on to me.  


The male Blue Dasher, with his pruinose blue tail raised high either as a threat or to combat high temperature, has a black tipped tail. His large compound eyes are green and he has a white face that distinguishes him from similar looking dragonflies. His clear wings may have an amber cast close to his thorax  The blue may develop over the top of his thorax, as well, but the sides appear vertically striped with black and yellow.  The Blue Dasher may typically position his wings forward and down while resting. The one pictured looks like he's adjusting his wings upon landing. You may see one soon.


Learn about the very different female Blue Dasher here.

3 comments:

  1. it's beautiful. I've been seeing a lot of these this year. I can never ever catch one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw one of these here the other day but he got away before I got my camera. This is a nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dragonflies almost as much as butterflies - and this one is beautiful! Very nice photo.

    ReplyDelete